Owner/Creator Kathy Steck
It was the simple statement, "Adults don't want to wear bibs," that drove me to create the Cravaat™. I love scarves and realized it was the perfect solution for protecting clothes from spills. But it had to be made with just the right fabric. It had to look good, feel good, and still be practical, i.e. stain resistant and machine washable. When I found our microfiber fabric, the Cravaat™ was born.
We named the scarf a Cravaat™ (pronounced kra-vaht') because they are a modern day version of the original cravat (spelled with one a). Cravats came into fashion in the 17th century in imitation of linen scarves worn by Croatian mercenaries in the French army. They were believed to be worn to hide shirts which were not immaculately clean and are considered the forerunner to the modern necktie. And what is the biggest complaint about the necktie? They get ruined from food spills. So our Cravaat™ is a modern take on the original, but instead of covering up dirty clothes, our Cravaat™ protects clothes from food spills and keeps them clean. And when a customer mentioned that they wanted to also cover the lap, we extended our product line to include the Cravaat II™.
The Napkin at Your Neck™ came from the idea that tucking a napkin into your shirt, though not considered stylish, is more acceptable than wearing an adult bib. The Nayn was designed with input from a memory care facility, when they wanted the napkin to be large enough to cover the lap. Eldercare caregivers at this and other memory care facilities love them.
DinerWear™ quickly discovered that Cravaats™ aren’t just for seniors. As I like to say, “Who amongst us hasn’t spilled on our self?” Everyone – young and old, whether dining out or at home, at the table or on the run (think car, plane, train) – can appreciate the design and utility of the Cravaat™. Even hesitant users have gotten hooked after just one try. It’s a product that meets a real need in our busy lives.
Whether you’re dining challenged or just want some insurance that you will come away from the table, (or car, or plane) with clean clothes, the Cravaat™ will help you avoid embarrassment AND the hassle of food stains. Our mantra is, “An ounce of protection is worth a pound of laundry.”
We hope you are as thrilled to have these alternatives in clothing protection as we are to bring them to you. Say goodbye to the adult bib.
For anyone who doesn't want an adult bib, but needs a clothing protector...
- Those who have Alzheimer's / Dementia / Brain Injuries / MS - Multiple Sclerosis / Parkinsons who might otherwise need an adult bib,
- Those who are Elderly, Blind, had a Stroke, or are Convelascing Hospital Patients who can use protection while eating but who don't want to wear an adult bib.
- If you are a Messy Eater / Large Chested Women / Eat in the Car / Eat on a Plane / Eat at your Desk and don't want to wear an adult bib, but want to protect your clothes,
- Also great for Preschoolers who have outgrown bibs, but still spill, and Kids with Disabilities who hate bibs,
- AND anyone who would appreciate peace of mind knowing their clothes will stay clean.
DinerWear™ loves to give back to the community. Some of the organizations to whom we’ve donated:
- Meals on Wheels
- Mt. Hope Nazarene Retirement Community
- The Caregiver of the Month at The Caregiver's Voice
- CEED (Center for Employment and Economic Development)
- Karamanos Cancer Institute
- Optimal Life Designs in Dementia Care
- Michigan Assisted Living Association
- Villa Bella Luxury Retirement Community
- Botsford Commons Senior Community
- Sarah Care- Adult Day Care Center
- Grovecrest - Senior Living
- Novi Library
- Italian American Transportation Charitable Foundation benefit for Center for Independent Futures
Also, Kathy is proud to have facilitated a collection of 1160 books for the Joplin Missouri schools that were devastated by the 2011 tornado.